Thursday, July 16, 2009

Having just played al ittle with Youtube, I can see a number of possibilities for using this medium for promotional purposes as well as finding fun clips to make a blog fun for followers to engage with. You could also use for training purposes as this course has demonstrated, and approach different age groups to be involved to produce something that the community at large could benefit from.

In the suggested searches, I found an Eddie Izzard comedy routine converted into a clip with Star Wars Lego figures. I am sure that there are keen devotees who might use Youtube for showing a new creation or technqiue. I also saw a community group post a video to prevent a proposal that would affect the local environment around the Liverpool plains. My search based on Kogarah was not so successful in terms of finding out interesting tidbits about the area, more that my search found a baby who likes bouncing and just happens to be a resident of Kogarah.

I did however look at several of the library examples, Mosman's recording of a local stories evented that had been hosted by Mike Munro, and some of the libraries in the States have made a number of clips to promote services and programs. There have been a number of brave CYS librarians who have created clips to herald their Summer Reading Club theme or why gorillas should not use the library. At a recent training event, a colleague showed a fantastic clip that would go brilliantly with the Read on the Wild Side program looming in the December break.

One potential downside I can see is trying to find an IT dept who would be sympathetic enough to grant access to this technology and allow for clips to be accessible to the public through various firewalls and other security measures.

I tried to embed a clip from Youtube, that was one of my favourite clips from my childhood, but unfortunately this blog does not like things being embedded from Youtube, so I will need to try and find another way. If you would like to try and see it for yourself, go to Youtube, type in Butterfly ball , and choose the clip by Richard Glover - the sheer fantasy and the music sucked me in long ago and I hope you enjoy it

No comments:

Post a Comment